Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Rush Radio Stimulus Plan?

Written By D.

Rush Limbaugh does not form my opinions for me. I form them for myself. While I do not listen to him all the time, I do on occasion tune in on my pocket radio while walking my dogs.

I think Rush is a man of hubris and I’m not much for a constant feed of hubris. But I guess he has earned the right through hard work and perseverance. He is a uniquely American success story.

I was very disturbed this morning when I saw an article on Fox News that said the Democrats had launched an online petition attacking him for his comments; http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/01/27/dems-launch-online-petition-rush-limbaugh/

I really don’t know what the Democrats hope to gain because I only see in their action anger aimed at Rush simply for expressing his views. Expressing views is a concept we call Free Speech and it is the right of all Americans, including Rush.

I don’t know if his views actually influence people, but I am sure the facts that he uses to support them probably do. Rush is not to blame for the facts. Rush is not to blame for the economic meltdown nor the consequences of Democrat bailout mania laced with pork. The facts are the facts. If Rush wants those policies to fail, he has the right to say it.

Now that Bush is no longer President, it seems the Democrats are in search of a polarizing figure to attack and Rush is a convenient target. Vilification of Conservatives is a way of life for Democrats. They always seem to have a whole list of adjectives at the ready to attack those that do not agree with them. This is just business as usual.

Of course you would think that these “important” Democrats would have something better to do with their time.

But the result they seek to achieve, which appears to be stifling the free speech of their opposition, is not going to endear them to anyone except their hardcore base. They have gone after Rush before to charge up their base, so this is not new. Democrats are not known for originality, I guess that’s why they are using the failed FDR plan to “stimulate” the economy.

Do they think they will separate Rush from his ditto followers? My guess is that he will gain more listeners and generate more advertising revenue. Maybe the Democrats attack on Rush should be called the “Rush Radio Stimulus Plan.”

Do they think that the GOP will turn their backs on Rush? I figure the GOP will just use Rush because as long as the Democrats focus on him as their big target, GOP legislators can use him for cover. They will probably say, “We don’t like what Rush is saying,” but I’d bet they hope he keeps saying it. Good cop, bad cop.

Is this "act" the Dems are putting on part of a plan to shut down talk radio and blame Rush for it? Well, estimates are that 23 million people listen to Rush. Do they really want to anger that many people, most all of whom are real taxpayers and are feeling a bit insecure right now?

For me, in the end, this is not about Rush, this is about Free Speech. I may not always agree with what others say, whether liberal or conservative, but I will defend their right to say it. I suggest that the Democrats could learn something from the children’s taunt; “Sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me.” If Democrats don’t like what Rush has to say about them, the solution is easy; ignore him and don’t listen to his radio program. It is that simple, unless they have something against Free Speech. And, if that is the case, they'll anger a lot more than 23 million people.

Seja o primeiro a comentar

background

Conservative Women United ©Template Blogger Green by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO